I started by creating a layered background using a variety of supplies which included: vintage pattern paper, acrylic paints, distressed inks, stickers and homemade stamps for texturizing.
The next step was to paint the boy's overalls using a base layer of light blue acrylic. I painted that on a craft sheet, because it is such a messy process- not for one who doesn't like to get their hands dirty! This was then covered in a mixture of 50/50 white glue and water, and as it was applied I created folds in the clothing, then set it aside to dry.
As the overalls were drying I formed a hanger out of wire. First I hammered the wire so when it was applied to the canvas it would lay flat. It was then painted with a black metallic paint.
I wanted to add some embellishments but didn't have any on hand so I created my own- a rubber ducky, a car, 3 musical notes and a sailboat.
I have a set of kids tracing stencils which I used as the template. I traced the stencils onto a transparency sheet then filled each design in using puffy paint. These took several hours to dry, but once finished, they could be peeled off of the transparency. If you do not apply the puffy paint thick enough it won't peel off, but then you just cut it out and the transparency stays on as a backing.
Once everything was dried, I used heavy gel medium to place the overalls and hanger onto the canvas. For added interest, I left part of the hanger spill over the edge.
Then using a few different shades of blue acrylic paint and white gesso, I shaded in areas of the overalls. Red acrylic paint was added to the buttons and along a few of the folds. Then embellishments were placed onto the piece, again using heavy gel medium.
Finally I added the wording: boy, n. dirt with noise on it! My trick here is to stamp the wording onto the vintage pattern paper, then apply the words to the piece. This has a two fold purpose- it allows me to re-stamp a letter if it doesn't turn out the way I want it and it also lets me put the words down in different places on the canvas to see which position I like best before gluing down. Once glued on, I use gelattos to blend the pattern paper to the canvas so it doesn't look like it was glued on at all.
The final step is to seal the work. Here I just use my glue/water mixture as a final sealer.
I hope this has inspired you to try a piece of your own.